FortiExtender 5G and LTE Wireless WAN Extender
Providing 5G and LTE Connectivity for Reliable Broadband Access to the Internet
The future is wireless, and with 5G and innovative LTE connectivity solutions, your WAN can be faster than ever. Fortinet FortiExtender leverages the scalability and flexibility of LTE (3G and 4G) and 5G wireless WAN to empower you to grow more connected, across operations and devices located anywhere and everywhere.
FortiExtender offers wireless connectivity for nearly any operational network. Whether mobile sites, vehicle fleets, field forces, or OT and IoT environments, a FortiExtender solution exists to help you achieve resilient and high-performance connectivity, anywhere.
Less Than 99% Is Never Acceptable
The number of connected devices organizations need to manage is growing rapidly, and new technologies such as SD-WAN and 5G are transforming the way businesses operate. Establishing and maintaining internet connectivity across an increasingly distributed environment is critical for business execution and competitiveness, but it can be a challenge for conventional networking approaches. These challenges include:
- Networks are sprawling and the number of connected devices is growing
- Continuous connectivity is critical for business continuity and competitiveness
- Cable/DSL also offers less than 99.999% uptime—and it can’t be deployed everywhere
- MPLS networks are costly and not scalable for current business needs
|Number of Antennas||3 SMA External|
|PoE||IEEE 802.3af (15.4 W)|
|Ethernet Ports||5 GbE RJ45 ports (WAN or LAN configurable)|
|Modem Type||CAT-12 (600 Mbps)|
|Modem Support||Internal (1x Modem)|
|Antennas||4 SMA External|
|Power over Ethernet (PoE)||IEEE 802.3at (25.5 W)|
|Modem Support||Internal (1x Modem)|
|Antennas||4 x 5G/LTE/GNSS All-in-One|
|(PoE) Powered||IEEE 802.3at (25.5 W)|
Today’s Connectivity Challenges
Establishing and maintaining internet connectivity across an increasingly distributed environment is critical. However, conventional networking approaches include challenges such as:
- Distributed Device Networks. Networks are sprawling and the number of connected devices is growing
- Business Continuity. Continuous connectivity is critical for business continuity and competitiveness
- Network Reliability. Cable/DSL offers less than 99.999% uptime—and it can’t be deployed everywhere
- Cost. MPLS networks are costly and not scalable for current business needs
Resilient, Fast Connectivity, Everywhere
FortiExtender delivers a wide array of redundancy, performance, and functionality to fit nearly every wireless use case.
- 5G speed: With FortiExtender 5G, you can enjoy network speeds up to ten times conventional 4G LTE. This assures network performance suitable for nearly every operational task and requirement.
- High-availability wireless: Deploy FortiExtender to cost-effectively add redundancy and resiliency to your network. FortiExtender offers dual modem, dual SIM appliance options, increasing resiliency by four times. This ensures optimized wireless connectivity and the cellular infrastructure to provide broadband speeds that can be used in a failover or load-balancing configuration. For those locations without wired broadband options, FortiExtender can also serve as the primary internet connection, enabling reliable connectivity for branch, remote, and mobile networks.
- Flexible Connectivity for SD-WAN Business that want to use multiple WAN connections including SD-WAN, can use FEX as one of those Wireless WAN links with LTE and 5G. Additionally, end users can use the FortiExtender wireless interface to create SD-WAN rules and performance SLA’s.
Flexible Deployment and Manageability
FortiExtender offers a wide range of flexible deployment and management options, providing infrastructure leaders with the option to manage appliances using Fortinet’s FortiGate NGFW, FortiExtender Cloud, or locally at the appliance level.
Secure access service edge (SASE) at the thin branch
Leverage FortiExtender 5G, LTE, or even LAN Ethernet to onboard users located at pop-up offices and thin branch networks. With FortiExtender, deploying and managing FortiSASE is fast, simple and intuitive.
FortiExtender LTE Differentiators
Scalable Connectivity Anywhere
FortiExtender and FortiExtender Cloud offers secure, scalable and cost-effective centralized management for retail and wireless-only use cases
Extending the Fortinet Security Fabric
FortiExtender seamlessly integrates with and extends the utility of SD-Branch solutions with LTE
Making Mobile Networks High-avaliable Networks
FortiExtender offers ruggedized, highly available solutions for mobile and IoT/OT use cases
FortiExtender provides a reliable WAN connection to a firewall, such as a FortiGate, using the cellular LTE infrastructure, 3G, 4G, and 5G (planned). These connections are commonly used as a second broadband connection for reliability or increased throughput. But those businesses that want to use multiple WAN connections, including for SD-WAN, can also use FortiExtender for one of those WAN links. Another common use for FortiExtender is to deploy it as a primary connection for a location where cellular LTE is the preferred broadband option. Retail stores or kiosks processing point-of-sales (POS) transaction might also opt for a highly secure LTE network to meet PCI compliance requirements. FortiExtender can also be managed independently, using an attached FortiGate or through the FortiExtender Cloud service. For more information on FortiExtender Cloud, Contact Us!